People with learning disabilities have specific health and well being needs that a currently not being addressed. Due to shielding from the pandemic some people with learning disabilities have had limited access to exercise and have gained weight. Some have struggled to lead a healthy lifestyle which has impacted on their physical and mental well-being. We know that this cohort of residents have lost confidence in going out and connecting with people.
What can be done to help?
· Pilot a preventative model of support. Where patients will be offered a 1:1 holistic need assessment and personalised support and advise from a qualified health coach.
· Deliver group-based activity session and group based healthy lifestyle session to educate on a healthy diet.
· Co-design group healthy eating cookery classes in community spaces
· Develop a community garden for people with learning disabilities that is co-produced.
· Evaluate the model to test the effectiveness to seek sustainability through the PCNs.
Who? (Potential Partners)
· Wirral Mencap
· General Practices
· One Wirral
· Primary Care Wirral
· Autism Together
· Patients with a learning disability get specialised health and well-being support which will reduce health inequality and reduce these patients developing long term health conditions.
· People with a learning disability are more physically active and are eating a healthier diet which will improve their overall quality of life, aiming for them to live a happy, healthier and longer life.
Leisure map of the Wirral
An A3 map of the Wirral with all leisure facilities on it.Learn More >
Learning Disabilities project
An idea to create a health and wellbeing garden with a gazebo and outdoor seating for people with learning disabilities in South Wirral.Learn More >
Offering Support to Local Veterans Living in the Wirral
An idea about offering support to local veterans living in the Wirral.Learn More >
Health and Well-Being Support for People with Learning Disabilities
An idea that will help support people with learning disabilities with their well-being and health.Learn More >
Health Creation in the Wirral
This Manifesto for Health Creation calls for: The adoption of health creating practices: by health and care systems.Learn More >
A Healthy Eating Course for People Recovering from Substance Dependencies
To pilot a healthy eating course at Nightingale house with 6-10 people who are recovering from substance dependencies.Learn More >