· Wirral Mencap
· Primary Care Wirral
What can be done to help?
One Wirral CIC and Wirral Mencap have developed an innovative training programme, co-created with people with a learning disability and healthcare professionals.
The aim is to help improve equality and equity, empower staff and to eradicate barriers. As well as changing perceptions of inclusion, the training will include lots of practical advice and guidance.
This course is delivered online and it is available for all primary care staff in Wirral, including reception/admin staff, clinicians, nurses, practice managers and other additional roles.
Module 1: Learning Disability Awareness
· To align our perceptions of inclusion in society.
· To better understand what a learning disability is, and how to identify people with a learning disability.
Module 2: Why do people with a learning disability miss out
· To gain knowledge and awareness of how health inequalities and inaccessible healthcare impact on the lives of people with a learning disability.
Module 3: What can we do to better support people with a learning disability
· To explore ways that we can adapt our offer and to support and empower people with a learning disability to get the healthcare they need.
Module 4: Annual health checks and other services for people with a learning disability
· To gain practical advice and guidance on diagnosis, annual health checks, referrals (including Social Prescribing) and other learning disability services.
How can we do it?
· Work with Wirral Mencap to listen to patients, and develop role plays.
· Survey over 50 Primary Care staff to find out what training would be relevant to them.
· Co-designed training.
There are health inequalities for patients with learning disabilities/autism. Primary care wish to reduce this through appropriate staff training to improve patient experience and provide better health and social outcomes.
Learning Disabilities Project
Listening to views of patients with learning disabilities on how they would like to be treated at the doctors, listening to Primary care staff on what they would like to learn about, then co-designing training for all primary care staff.Learn More >
A four tier workforce development and management platform tool including a HR portal, Learning Management System, Staff Rota System and Governance portal. Staff box is an integrated system enabling organisations and services to build a resilient and knowledgeable workforce – all in one box!Learn More >
Bridging the Covid gap together
Working with organisations across the Wirral to support people to rebuild communities in a post Covid world and to raise awareness of Long Covid and its symptoms.Learn More >
Walking for Health
Specialist walks are offered for people with Learning Disability and/or Autism, Military Veterans, and people living with and beyond cancer to increase their physical activity with social interactions and form a support group.Learn More >
This will be co-delivered with Wirral Leisure services as part of Wirral’s local Tier 2 Weight Management Programme. It is a 6 week education programme that offers a supportive approach to sustained weight loss and weight maintenance.Learn More >
Co-Production: Improving Primary Care support for Patients at the End of Life
A project aimed to help improve primary care for patients at the end of life.Learn More >